We have developed a unified VOLKSPC OS capable of running both Android and Debian with the following caveats:
- Full support for running Android applications.
- Debian XFCE desktop and applications.
- Instantaneous switching between Android and Debian desktop.
- Quick launch of Android applications from Debian desktop.
- Users can install applications from Google play and Debian repository
The current release is based on Android Marshmallow and Debian Jessie XFCE desktop. We use MicroXwin as the underlying graphics technology for the Debian based desktop which makes Debian applications run faster. With new releases of both Android and Debian we will continue to update our distribution.
Here is a video of VOLKSPC OS running on our quad core ARM PC based on Amlogic-S905X.
Some devices will only have Android installed and user will have to install the VOLKSPC Debian image to provide the Debian desktop applications. Another possibility is that the user wants to upgrade his Debian desktop. This can be done by the VOLKSPC Android application shown below.
The installer menu items are:
1. Install VOLKSPC Debian distribution- The installer first looks for the installation zip file volkspcimg.zip on Micro SD card, USB stick or internal flash. For convenience volkpcimg.zip may be distributed by factory on a Micro SD card.
User can download the latest release from http://volkspc.org//download on to a USB stick or Micro SD card and use it for installation.
2. Remove VOLKSPC Debian distribution- This will remove the distribution from internal flash. You will need to log out of Debian before you can uninstall. Any files created by Linux user “desktop” will also be removed.
3. Switch to VolksPC desktop- This allows switching to Debian desktop.
Here is a video on how to use the VOLKSPC installer.